Random Thoughts..
Thursday, August 25, 2011
 
Done with Thunderbird. Finally !

I had written earlier about my woes. A week filled with inexplicable crashes while "Building summary file for Inbox" and, generally spiking up the CPU during indexing later, I decided that it was time to end a functional relationship.

Thunderbird was replaced with a stack that comprises of mutt+offlineimap+imapfilter+postfix. The last one was more of a necessity as msmtp wasn't cut out to be receiving the emails and then sending them out later when I went online. With a number of dot-files available that helped bring this configuration up, the only evolving bits is the imapfilter config.lua. With the number of lists and stuff that I am on and the volume of automated notifications I receive, it is going to take some time before I finally get things working (I wish I could export the existing filters from Thunderbird into an imapfilter readable file). The mutt is built with a sidepane patch which means that I have excluded it from yum updates. But that's fair trade. With the Thunderbird datastore added as a directory, I have the old mails easily read.

That's about it. I am still tweaking mutt a bit every now and then for ease of use, but otherwise it has been a fairly good ride.

Labels: , , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger